The Trustees of the Marindin Hall would like to thank the Frensham and Dockenfield Local History Group for permitting the use of their archive photographs
The origins of the Hall are thought to date from the early 1880s when Dr Frederic Cobb donated the room on the right of the entrance to the Pierrepont Lodge of Oddfellows, a friendly society formed for the welfare of its members. Charting its use over the years it was variously known as The Reading Room, The Old Institute, The Library and, in 1987, renamed The Cobb Room in memory of its benefactor.
Dr Cobb’s son, Dr Frederic Thomas Cobb, who had inherited the surrounding land, gave it to George Eden Marindin to enable him to build a Working Men’s Club and Institute. This building, which forms the main hall, was completed in 1901 and was donated by the Marindin family in memory of their daughter, Alice, who had died in 1899. The small hall was added in 1925.
In 1904 the land and buildings had been vested to Mr Marindin by Dr F T Cobb to be held in perpetuity under trust deed for the benefit of the inhabitants of Frensham. The original trustees were Mr George Eden Marindin, Rev William Moody – the vicar of Frensham, Mr Richard Combe, Dr Frederic T Cobb and Mr Morton Latham. Mr Marindin and Mr Latham appear in the 1931 photograph, right and left of the group respectively. George E Marindin died in 1939, aged 97.
To honour the Hall’s main benefactor and in recognition of his dedication to its well-being the building had been named The Marindin Institute in 1932. Later, in 1952, the term Institute was considered obsolete and the Hall renamed The Marindin Hall, Frensham, it’s present title.
The original Charitable Trust survived until 29th February 2020. On 1st march 2020 the Hall was re-constituted as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).
In September 2021 the Small Hall was renamed the Green Hall to show our appreciation to Malcolm and Sue Green and their family for their many years of dedicated service as Trustees and managers of the Hall.